Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My 14lb Bichon Frise had some blood in her stool this morning

My 14lb Bichon Frise had some blood in her stool this morning and some after stooling this afternoon. She hasn't really eaten anything new and is acting fairly normal. Can I wait and see if this clears up on its own before seeing the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. Is the stool normal consistency, or is it softer than normal? Is it bright red blood?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Normal consistency stool, the first time I just noticed a little bit that was definitely red enough that I knew it was blood, but not real bright red. The second time was not with the stool and was brighter red. Thanks

Okay. This could be the beginning of something called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE), which is common in small breed dogs. It causes frank blood in the stool and vomiting. I would give it until tomorrow, and see how things go tomorrow. If your dog vomits again, or there continues to be blood in stool or the stool turns to diarrhea, i would see a vet. There is a lot of research going on to figure out what causes HGE, but at this time we do not know the cause. It requires aggressive treatment as an inpatient in the hospital, though, with aggressive IV fluids and antibiotics for 1-2 days, and then the dogs recover with no problems. Hope this info helps... Best of luck.