Dr. Berry
Dr. Berry, Veterinarian
Experience:  26 years experience in small and large animal medicine and surgery.

My dog was licking his paws and scratching his ears violently

My dog was licking his paws and scratching his ears violently so much so that he was bleeding. I took him to a vet who said he had a yeast infection. She prescribed 30 days worth of Cephalexin antibiotic (500 mg. taken 4 times a day), Ketoconazole 200 mg. taken twice a day for 14 days, and Prednisone 20 mg. taken twice a day for 7 days, once a day for 7 days and 1/2 a day for 8 days. Also she prescribed ear cleaner Epi-Optic to be used once a day for 14 days, and Otomax (a quarter size amt. to instill in the ears twice a day). Does this seem like a good plan for his yeast infection.

Dr. Berry :

Hello. I'm Dr. Berry. Thanks for your question. Yes it is a good plan. It would be more desirable to treat with the ketoconazole for a month instead of just 2 weeks. When treating for a yeast infection treatment may be given for one month.

JACUSTOMER-iyqwuyh8- :

I just thought one month antibiotics was such a long time, but you think that is OK.

Dr. Berry :

I typically treat a bacterial/yeast ear infection for one month with antibiotics and antifungal drugs and recheck the ears.