Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years

My 4 year old wire fox terrier has a black spot on her gum

Customer Question

My 4 year old wire fox terrier has a black spot on her gum reaching down from her incisor and another spot that goes across the other incisor and down onto the gum. I thought she had something stuck in her teeth and needed to be flossed, but when I looked closely in her mouth this is what I found. She has never had her teeth cleaned and the vet has not mentioned it, but checked her teeth at her yearly exam in June. She does suffer with allergies and has been on Vetalog on and off all summer. Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 6 years ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine. May I gather a bit more info for clarity?

This is not on the tooth itself, only the gums?

Is it raised or is it just black color?

Is there any black pigment elsewhere in her mouth?

Are the teeth loose in front or heavily encrusted? Odor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The spot is by the lower incisor. It actually goes between it and down onto the gum. I thought it was a piece of grass stuck between her incisor and other tooth. There is another black spot on the gum, but not the tooth, on the other side. She does have a lot of black spots all over on her skin under her hair, but these spots on the lower gums are new. There is also a dark spot on an upper gum. The teeth are not loose and I just went and checked her mouth again. She let me run my finger over the spots and I discovered they are just on the gums. They are smooth to touch and not raised. Her teeth are not encrusted and her breath is not really bad--somewhat, but not awful.

Ok, thanks.

This sounds like pigmentation to me--especially if she has similar areas elsewhere on the gum tissue.

This is very common, and can increase in number/spots with age. Because you report these as brand new, it is safest to have them checked, otherwise now that you have noticed them, keeping a closer eye will be easier.

This isn't exactly a spot most of us spend a lot of quality time in, unless brushing their teeth

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

The worst thing would be melanoma, which is why I say either have it checked for you own peace of mind, or watch very closely. However, this is highly unlikely.

Dr. Elaine