Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog wont stop vomiting a pure white foamy bubbly substance.

My dog wont stop vomiting a pure white foamy bubbly substance. She has vomited about 20 times now. This last vomit, it changed to a yellow foamy sticky mucas. Her stomach feels incredibly full. She is very uncomfortable and wont drink water. What can it be and what can i do to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to JustAnswer!! I am a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that Oli has a mild digestive disturbance. This could be from something that was eaten or from some type of stress. The best thing to do for this is to fast her for 24 hrs. This allows the digestive tract to calm down and heal. Also, give her Pepto Bismol at 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of weight every 8 hrs. After the fast, feed a meal of boiled chicken and rice. If the disturbance has resolved, wean your dog back onto the regular food over 2 days.

It is extremely important that if Oli continues to vomit during the fast, that you have her seen by a vet immediately. Even the dehydration will causes severe problems for your dog and this must be taken care of right away.

If Oli is still having difficulties, you will need a veterinary exam to be sure we have not missed something. This disturbance could be more severe such as an intestinal obstruction or other infectious agent or a pancreatitis.

Good Luck!

Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She ate regular dry puppy food at about 10 p.m. last night. Right now her tummy feels very, very full. Like it is swollen with that stuff that she is throwing up. She has vomited about 15 times now. It looks like foamy-white mucas. It is very sticky and bubbly. Anything specific it could be? I took her for a walk at about midnight but she did not poop.
If she appears bloated, there is a chance that Oli could be sufffering from an obstruction and this will be serious for your girl. I would recommend taking her into your vet immediately. This foam tells us that there may be an obstruction since there is no food or bile that is thrown up as well;. Young puppies can suffer from a condition called an Intussuception that is a telescoping of the bowel and this is life threatening if left untreated.

Take her to your vet...this may not be merely a mild digestive disturbance.