Dr. Beall
Dr. Beall, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Dog & Cat Veterinarian for 10 years, Own/Operate Exclusive Small Animal Practice.
31454922

My dog still has a good appetite but she is losing weight.

My dog still has a good appetite but she is losing weight. She has always been a little overweight but now you can feel her backbone and ribs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Beall replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Thanks for your question concerning Puddles your Pug. I need some additional information to help out.

1) Does she have any current medical problems?

2) Is she currently on any medications?

3) What is her normal diet?

4) Any vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, or sneezing?

5) How long have you noticed the weight loss for?

Reply back and I will try to help you out.

Dr. Beall

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Not that we know of.

2. We put some liquid medication in her ear occasionally. But not all the time. I don't know the name of it.

3. Dry dog food, Lambs meal and rice. Milk bone dog treats, and chicken bacon strips for dogs as treats.

4. No.

5. I have only noticed for about 3 days.

Expert:  Dr. Beall replied 3 years ago.

Ok, just a few more quick questions....

1) Is she spayed?

2) Is she drinking more, or urinating more than normal?

Thanks,

Dr. Beall

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
1. Yes.
2. I think so. They have free access into the backyard, so I am not 100% sure.
Expert:  Dr. Beall replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the additional information. To find out for sure what is going on, you really need to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian to have some tests ran. They will want to start with a complete blood panel (CBC/Biochemistry/T4) and a urinalysis to look for any underlying diseases and get base line data. They will also want to check a fecal sample for any underlying parasite problems too. Depending on the results of the blood and urine they may also want to take some x-rays.

In a 11 year old dog I start to get worried about metabolic problems (such as kidney disease), endocrine problems (Cushings or thyroid), and growths or tumors. Unfortunately, the only way to find out for sure what is going on is to run tests. I have found over the years that it is important to have the tests ran sooner than later, as the longer things go on, the worse it gets, and ends up costing more to treat in the long run.

I hope this helps and good luck with Puddles! Let me know if you have additional questions or thoughts.

Dr. Beall

Dr. Beall, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Dog & Cat Veterinarian for 10 years, Own/Operate Exclusive Small Animal Practice.