Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

my dog has hurt his dew claw and is in pain what can i give

my dog has hurt his dew claw and is in pain what can i give him and how much of a dose
he"s 20lbs or a bit over
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

On a short term home remedy basis aspirin is your only real choice, it would be very much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter pain killers and it is sometimes prescribed for dogs.

A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

A 20 lb dog like your would require 100 mg of aspirin twice a day orally.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I thought that asprin wasn't good for dogs why not tylenol? Liquid seems the easyest. he must have pulled the claw out it's not bleeding which is good but is a little swollen compared to the other foot. I am concerned about his pain. am i going about the right method to help his pain?
Hello again,

I am very glad you have asked this question rather than just going ahead and dosing your dog ....

Common over the counter human pain killers such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } are not used often in dogs these days there are much better alternatives for controlling fever and pain and there have been incidents reported of side effects and toxicity with many of these drugs. The only human over the counter pain killer which most vets will suggest is in fact aspirin.

If used properly aspirin is quite safe in dogs on a short term basis particularly if you give it with a little food. Check out the link I gave your previously ...

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.