Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can you give a dog Percocet My dog is very old and suffering

Can you give a dog Percocet? My dog is very old and suffering from a lot of different ailments. I dont want to put her down yet but I thought if I gave her something for pain it might help her feel better?

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear that Baby is having problems. You cannot give a dog Percocet. It has acetaminophen, which is very toxic to dogs and can cause severe liver failure. Your best option is to talk to your vet about getting some pain medications that are more safe for dogs, such as Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam and Tramadol. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have Tramadol and Metacam how much should I give her? she weighs about 60 pounds.
The tramadol is usually 1-4mg per pound every 8-12 hours. I usually start a 60lb dog on 50mg initially. As far as Metacam goes, I use 6mg on day one and 3mg daily afterward for a 60lb dog. Hope this helps.