How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Scott Your Own Question
Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15168
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a butane bic lighter 2 days ago. He has been drinking

Customer Question

My dog ate a butane bic lighter 2 days ago. He has been drinking water but is vomiting and refuses to eat. I have been keeping an eye on him but he is very lethagic. He gets up and walks around but not having active like before the ingesting. Anything I can do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

*BE AWARE YOU CANNOT VIEW ANSWERS ON THIS SITE WITHOUT A DEPOSIT*

How large was the lighter?

Was it chewed or swallowed whole?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was a normal sized Bic lighter. He chewed on it did not swallow it.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
What is he vomiting now?

Is water staying down?

Are you sure he did not swallow any of the lighter pieces?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is drinking water. I have not seen him vomit since last night but I think that he is still vomiting. I found the lighter, the pieces are inside of the lighter and I found one on the ground so I do not think that he ingested any of the lighter. He seems to be breathing ok and is no convolsing or anthing like that. He is walking around. Slowly but walking.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Butane is a strong irritant when ingested. It can cause burns to the mouth, throat and stomach. When inhaled it can affect the heart and death is possible. Pepcid AC or Prilosec OTC can be used at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours as needed to settle the stomach. Pepto Bismal can be used at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds body weight every 8 hours as needed to settle the stomach. If the medicine stays down an hour a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice, no bones, can be offered in small amounts. If the medicine does not stay down, the lethargy and vomiting continues or the dog still will not eat, he needs to be examined as soon as possible by your vet. He will likely need blood tests to see if any internal organs have been damaged and may need IV fluids for several days.