Dr. Erica
Dr. Erica, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years of small animal practice, graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and Dartmouth College
21669922

My dog has had a sore toe for a about a week and a half. It

Customer Question

My dog has had a sore toe for a about a week and a half. It was swollen and I wouldn't say quite red in colour but it was very pink. There was no sore or weeping or anything. He was unable to walk on it very much. I first noticed it after we had been swiming down the creek and originally thought he had just twisted or sprained something as he had spent a great deal of time running up and down the rapids which has a very rocky and uneven bottom. After about a week he started limping on the other foot as a toe on that foot was starting to swell and look pinkish. He is starting now to walk around again slowly and what ever it was was getting better, but when I looked at his sore toes today I can see what looks like blisters starting on the sides of them. He is a 3yr old staffy cattle cross.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Erica replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Erica :

It sounds like he is developing what is called pododermatitis, which is an infection in the toes and around the pads of the feet. It can happen from swimming in the rapids or just from something on the ground. In addition, sometimes it can happen from an immune disorder (like lupus) but it doesn't sound like this is the case with your dog, considering the history. It can be very painful and needs to be treated with antibiotics and antiinflammatory medication. Do you have anything left over at home? If not, what you can do is soak his feet in an epsom salt soak and then dry them very well. You can spray them with a topical cortisone spray and apply a topical antibiotic cream or spray. If he is very sore, it is safe for him to take 1 adult aspirin twice a day (make sure it is aspirin and not ibuprofen, or acetominophen). However, he will probably need to see the vet to get antibiotics. With proper treatment, he should be feeling better in a few days. I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions!