Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

what is the normal pulse and respiratory rate for a 10 year

what is the normal pulse and respiratory rate for a 10 year old border collie at rest?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
HI there.

Normal pulse for your border collie is 50 to 130 beats per minute and respiratory rate is 16 to 20 breaths per minute. This all depends on ambient temperature and resting state.

is your dog having other problems?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he's had autoimmune hemolytic anemia in the past. He's been acting depressed for about about 5 days, then we noticed about 4 days ago that his heart seemed to be beating really fast after we were playing with him, then yesterday he felt a bit warm, he has had poor appetite for the past 3 days and yesterday when he jumped up on the bed (which he usually does with no difficulty) he was breathing heavy....now today his gums and conjunctiva and his tongue seem pale. I have an appt with the vet at 130 to get a stat H&H...will have to wait longer for any CBC results to come back but I'm really worried...just want to know if his vital signs are normal in the meantime while I'm waiting
If his gums appear pale,. there is a good chance that this autoimmune condition may be returning. An increase in respiratory rate and heart rate would make sense because he does not have enough red blood cells to provide his body with the oxygen that he needs....

have him tested soon...so treatment can be initiated...