Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my dogs penis will not retract

my dogs penis will not retract
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

This is tricky to sort out without actually seeing your dog but I can tell you I have had in the past a number of consultations at my clinic related to just this problem. I assume that you are seeing the penis as red and the foreskin is retracted, if it stays that way for any length of time then swelling can occur and that makes it difficult to get things back into their right place.

This is a situation which happens now and again and the technical term for it is paraphimosis, the usual problem is that he is unable to retract his foreskin because of the erection. The trapped foreskin can prevent blood flow from the penis and swelling can occur.

1. What to try is to gently lubricate the shaft of the penis use a lubricant gel if you have access to any or just lots of soap and water and gently try to retract and unroll the foreskin back to it's normal position.

2. Another approach is to make up a warm saturated sugar solution and place the dog's penis in it if this is possible say using a large cup, otherwise just poultice the penis with the solution but saturate the whole area. This very often works because of an osmosis effect of the sugar, you have to do this for about twenty minutes.

3. If you cannot resolve the situation by the above common sense means then you should have your vet take a look, sooner rather than later before permanent damage occurs as is possible.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.