Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 12+ years experience.

can dogs have pepcid ac or zantac I have been reading that

can dogs have pepcid ac or zantac? I have been reading that they can. what would be the dosage? She is a 90lb 10 year old Golden retriever who takes .3 mg thyro tabs (1 1/2 twice per day), salmon oil, glucosomine and chondrotin and monthly revolution on the back of her neck. She has been vomiting yellow frothy liquid 3-5 times a week since August. We have ruled out a number of possible factors (different foods, feeding more often, swimming in the lake etc.). We've had her x-rayed, barium tested, blood tested, all results are normal with a bit of inflammation showing up on the barium test. It also showed carrots not digesting properly so no more of those. She's been on sulcrate for 3 weeks now with no improvement. She has never vomitted food.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 6 years ago.

For a 90 pound golden a full tablet of Pepcid AC, tagament or Zantac is fine twice daily. I seem to see the best results with Pepcid (famotidine) and Tagament (cimitidine). There can be a little trial and error with this group of meds (called H2 blockers). You may also see a benefit with 2 teaspoons of maalox twice daily, but I would start with just the pepcid and go from there. It is also important not to give it with the sucralfate as the sucralfate could limit absorption. I hope this helps and gives you direction.

Dr. Jeff