vetmom4
vetmom4, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as small animal veterinarian, practice owner for 28 years, Past President of SCAV
19442602

my dog has kidney failure. he has gotten a 2 darbopoetin shots

my dog has kidney failure. he has gotten a 2 darbopoetin shots with the last 2 weeks ago. his hemoglobin is 30. He had a blood transfusion 4 weeks ago prior to the darbopoetin and was doing well until the last 2-3 days. he was never started on iron. could his iron be low causing his weakness and sob even though his last hemoglobin 1 week ago was 34%?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  vetmom4 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
vetmom4 :

Hi, I am happy to answer any question about your dog's veterinary issues. I will work hard for you and remember no question is a stupid question.

vetmom4 :

Hi, I am vetmom. Iron certainly won't hurt along with B vitamins. 34 is a good score for hematocrit (I think that it what you are referring to as hemoglobin) for a dog with kidney failure. Many kidney failure dog just do not feel well due to the inability to excrete toxic by-products through the urine. What else are you doing for the kidney failure?

Customer :

We have done the SQ fluids and all the meds possible and his levels have been rising just recently with his last Cr 8.0 (he has been around 6-7.5 for 6-7 months now and has only started to deteriorate in the last 4 weeks. He has been doing OK until this weekend and started to get weaker and a little SOB. He was in for IV fliud therapy this weekend and was eating until this morning when he started to get nauseated and vomit. They want me to put him down and I know I it will be soon. But as a last ditch effort , could this weakness and mild SOB be because of the low Iron level? They had talked aboput supplementing him but last we talked about it was 2 weeks ago and they never brought it up. He just reminds me of how he looked just prior to his low hematocrit 4 weeks ago. Is it possible to start supplementing now and get quick results?

vetmom4 :

I don't want to give you false hope. That is a very high creatinine for a dog. But it wouldn't hurt to start the iron. I doubt that it will give you fast results but it' worth a try. I also have used prednisone in these end stage case to make the pets feel better.

vetmom4 :

Have you tried Azodyl and Epatikin? What is his potassium level? A low level can cause weakness. Look at this link:

vetmom4 :

www.azodyl.com and click on renal (kidney) products.

Customer :

We have used the azodyl from the beginning and started epakitan 3-4 weeks ago. His potassium has been around 5.5-6 in the last week. How long do you think will it take for the iron supplement to start to take effect if I start tonight? and what dose do you recommend for a 40 lb dog?

vetmom4 :

180 mg. of ferrous sulfate daily is the dosage I have read for chronic renal failure cases. It would probably take at least several days t take effect.

Customer :

do you think it may be possible that he may be feeling these s/s if his iron is low? I am at my last resort and I will try anything. Does the B Vitamins that can help him come in a shot that would help him quicker?

vetmom4 :

You can get B vitamins complex in an injection.

Customer :

Also, is this regular human iron supplements that I can get at the store?

vetmom4 :

I believe so. Call your local pharmacy or walmart. I just don't know the strength they have. Sorry. I like to use the liquid.

vetmom4 :

It can cause constipation.

Customer :

Do you know what vitamin b I would use and a dose?

vetmom4 :

Do they still make Geritol? Let me check

Customer :

Are you talking about liquid iron or vitamin b?

vetmom4 :

Yes, I just checked and they still make Geritol. I think that would be a good choice. It has iron and b vitamins.

vetmom4 :

1 capsule daily.

vetmom4 :

Have his potassium level checked tomorrow if possible.

Customer :

1 capsule of the geritol? and does it have the iron and vitamin b supplements? I will call to get it drawn. Are we looking to see if the potassium is too high or too low?

vetmom4 :

Let me explain why I am afraid the iron won't help. The reason why kidney failure dogs are anemic is that the kidneys no longer produce a substance to stimulate the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. It is not a deficiency of the building blocks of red blood cells like iron and B vitamins. So giving them does not guarantee that the dog will make cells. An anology would be like putting gas in a car that has no ignition. I am sorry.

vetmom4 :

Yes, the geritol has both iron and B vitamins. We are looking for low potassium such that supplementation may help with the weakness.

Customer :

Should I wait to start the geritol for the bloodwork or doesn't it matter. his last potassium level was 5.8 1 week ago. Could it have changed that quickly?

vetmom4 :

Possibly with the IV fluids administration over the weekend. I would talk to your veterinarian about the Geritol after the potassium check.

Customer :

Anything else you can think of as to why the increased weakness and nausea other than the potassium or just the buildup of toxins? I really wish we were more advanced in kidney transplants for dogs. He was so healthy until he accidentally got into a bottle of liquid Motrin 8 months ago which started this whole mess. I am just devestated because I don't want to lose him and will try anything!! I will try the geritol and willl get his blood checked in the am.

Customer :

What would be the high end level of the potassium that would keep me from giving the geritol? And if the potassium is high can I just supplement with a vitamin b?

vetmom4 :

The potassium and iron are 2 separate supplementations. Yes, if the potassium is ok, you can supplement with just B vitamins. Your veterinarian may have an injectable form.

Customer :

Should I request a vit b injectable and also do the geritol? Is the geritol to help with the potassium or the iron or both in addition to the vit b? If the potassium is high should I do a separate iron supplement as well as the vitamin B? I' a little confused now as to what the geritol is supplementing.

vetmom4 :

You can do the Vitamin B injectable and the Geritol. The Geritol helps with the iron and the B Vitamins, not the potassium. I hope that clarifies.

Customer :

So we are just checking the potassium to see if it is just low causing the weakness and not to supplement if it is low. Taking the geritol then won't increase the potassium anymore if it is high. Is this right? and if so can I just start him on the geritol tonight if I get it?

vetmom4 :

You would supplement the potassium if it is low. The Geritol will not effect the potassium. Yes, the can start the Geritol tonight. Good luck, vetmom

Customer :

Thanks for all your help!

vetmom4 :

You are quite welcome. I hope something works! Kindest regards, vetmom

vetmom4 :

From our chat, I believe you are doing all you can. Rest in that.

Customer :

Just to let you know, I had to put my dog to sleep over night. He went into heart failure and started vomiting non stop. It was time. I will miss him greatly!!!!! Thanks again.

vetmom4, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 30 years as small animal veterinarian, practice owner for 28 years, Past President of SCAV