Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

How is the best way to tape a dew claw injury. It is just

How is the best way to tape a dew claw injury. It is just torn. Front paw, and for how long do I keep it taped. She is a very active dog. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Hello there,

How much of the nail is missing?

Is she licking the area?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
None of the nail is missing, it looks like it was just bent backwards or sideways. She was yelping while walking, and she is licking the area., I know it is painful to her.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
If the nail has cracked it will fall off on it's own after it heals. If she is licking it, infection can result. The nail should be covered with Neosporin or bacitracin twice a day. Wrapping the area is easier said than done. Most dogs will chew the bandage right off. You need Elasticon tape from the pharmacy and cotton padding to cover it. The cotton is wrapped around the wrist in a 1/2-1 inch thick layer after the ointment is applied. The Elasticon is then wrapped over the cotton and onto the fur. It should not be wrapped tightly or the toes can swell. If she pulls on the tape she can also create a tourniquet and the toes will swell. The bandage should be changed if she chews it, the toes look swollen or every day so ointment can be applied. Buffered aspirin can be used at 5 mg per pound body weight every 12-24 hours as needed for pain. It must be given with food.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Since there is a tear in the skin, how long will I need to tape for paw. and would you reccomend a stitch or two to seal the wound. If no stitches, how long will it take to heal itself w/out the stitches.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
How large is the tear?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Upon further inspection, the nail is broken. I thought there was a tear in the skin. Now I can tell that the nail is split at the bottom of the nail. There is not a tear in the skin, it is just the nail that is split.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
The nail will grow out and the damaged part will fall off. It may take several weeks for that to occur. The damaged section should be removed if possible but it is usually painful. The bandage should only be applied until the lameness is gone and the nail has healed enough that the quick does not look exposed. It could be 5-7 days.