Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.

My dog threw up yesterday morning. She wont eat OR drink now.

Customer Question

My dog threw up yesterday morning. She won't eat OR drink now. She seems to heave now and then. I can't find a vet open. She was groomed on Friday. How can I get her to drink something? Could she have an allergy?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there -- Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If you are there -- and with your dog, we can walk through some basic physical exam info to try to figure out how serious the issue is.

JACUSTOMER-c0kab54g- :

She is here next to me.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- sorry for the delay -- I had stepped away for a moment.

JACUSTOMER-c0kab54g- :

I am alittle confused. Screens keep popping up and I am afraid I have purchased something else.

JACUSTOMER-c0kab54g- :

Have I done something wrong?

JACUSTOMER-c0kab54g- :

Is someone there?

JACUSTOMER-c0kab54g- :

I nchecked my account and I have already been charged.

JACUSTOMER-c0kab54g- :

I already accepted. I haven't been given any advice.hat is going on?

HI again -- I lost you in the chat --- and it looks like you may have accidentally paid before we were finished. So I hope you get this message. I will walk you through a basic physical -- give me as much info as possible --

First history and info

1) Bowel movements -- are they normal, any diarrhea, is she having them at all?

2) Urination -- same questions

3) When did she quite eating - and how is here activity level

4) Any vomiting or heaving?

1) Gums -- are they pink and if your press with your finger do they go white -- then quickly pink again?

2) Are her eyes bright and shiny - not sunken or dry appearance

3) If you can take a temperature rectally -- this is most helpful -- normal is between 99-103. This can be done with a regular digital thermometer with a littel oil on the tip. Place about 1/2 to 1 inch inside the anus.

4) Breathing -- labored, shallow ;rapid, slow -- any sounds? any nasal discharge?

5) Abdomen -- while she is standing -- massage the abdomen very deeply -- any discomfort, lunps or bumps, pain? normally it is very soft and swishy?

6) Lift the skin at her neck -- does it quickly fall back into place as normal -- or is it standing up a bit? Checks dehydration .

7) Check in her mouth-- any unusual odor, is the color normal, and is there any areas with a potential problem (teeth gums, under tongue, etc).

Thank you == I will write back after I receive this info .

No charge for info requests
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Yes, I have already been charged. I don't usually chat, What info. do you need?</p><p> </p><p>OK</p><p>She had diarreah oce yesterday. She hasn't gone again since yesterday aftrrnoon. She had dark urine and nit a lot of it. She hasn't eaten for at least 30 hours. She drank some milk and I got a few drops of water in her.</p><p> </p><p>Her eyes are a little dull. Her belly seems a little hard but she didn't act like it hurt when I felt it. Her gums go white to pick pretty quickly. Her mouth looks OK, but gummy dry like when I am sick. I don't have a regular thermometer. Just the scanner kind I use for our grandkids.</p>

Hi again --

Is there any chance she has gotten into anything unusual --- garbage, people food, meat trimmings, dead things, etc. Often eating these types of unusual things can trigger gastroenteritis and/or pancreatitis. Often we allow 24 hours with no food (water ok) and then see if there is improvement . If no improvement -- then we usually place them on IV fluids, and can give injectable medications to reduce vomiting and support the body through the crisis time.

Since her gums are pink and abdomen not painful --- it is not an emergency --- but vet visit is recommended as it does appear that she is dehydrated a bit. There is no good way to get fluids orally into a dog with vomiting. Until a vet can be located, the best is to use a pediolyte solution or water--very cold -- and drop it into her mouth slowly. Even rub on gums. If you are using water, occasionally add syrup or sugar to the drops to prevent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Even 10 -20 drops at a time, given every 20 mintues may help. If these small amounts cause heaving -- then discontinue to drops. The only possibility then is rubbing water on gums to hydrate.

If appears that you have tried ice chips -- these can be very helpful. so continue to try tiny ones.

I do hope a vet becomes available at some point today for you. If not --- continue supportive care (keep in indoor spot that is a little warm, water drops or ice) You can attempt to use pepto bismol --- at 1 tsp per 5-10 pounds. Depending on the severity of the nausea, it may or may not stay down. But would be very helpful if it does stay down.

I am using the Need Info resource button to avoid requests for additional payments for you -- you can write back if needed. But there is no need to reply..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>I don't know anythinmg is possible. I am wondering if somethinghappened at the groomer. Maybe she is allergic to the shampoo or something.</p>

As I mentioned -- not a dire emergency -- but in need of supportive carea dn continued monitoring. Good idea to keep a watch on gum color and other physical parameters about every hour or two .

Just leave this discussion open --- in case you want to ask something later today. You can use it then to contact me and there will be no extra charges.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will she be alright if I can't get her to a vet unbtil tomorrow? Is there anyway to get her to drink something?

She sounds stable for the moment -- but I am concerned about her hydration stayus. SO if you can see a vet today, it would be best.

As for fluids, right now -- only drops or ice chips should be given. There is no good way to make them drink -- and consuming any quantity of anything right may may trigger vomiting.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome -- do not reply to this message -- just leave open