Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

I have a 9 year old Pekingese dog. I gave her a lion cut about

I have a 9 year old Pekingese dog. I gave her a lion cut about a month ago and noticed round patches of dried skin. I bathed her in aloe and oatmeal dog shampoo every week and it has not improved. Instead it has gotten worst, with an increasing number of patches and the patches flaking off and taking a chunks of fur with it. My dog does not itch not is her skin look irritated(she has black skin). I was wondering if I should change the shampoo or if my dog has another disease altogether.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there -- welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Are these patches in any certain area of the body?

Customer :

not exactly, just all over the body

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Are these small - 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch or are these larger patches?

Customer :

looks like they start small around 1/4 inch and expend to 1/2 inch or bigger

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Do they then heal --- and reoccur elsewhere -- or is it just spreading?

Customer :

it just spreading and merge with other small patches

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The possiblities would include 1) ringworm - which is a fungal infection. Oringinates in soil -- is contagious to other pets and humans. Generally non-itching and spreads. Treated with lime sulfur dips, or oral medications. 2) Allergies, bacterial infections are both itchy -- so it is less liekly to be one of these 3) demodex mites - these are normal skin mites that every dog has. ON occasion they will overpopulate an area and cause flaking skin and areas of hair thinning or loss. This is diagnosed by a skin scraping. Treatment can be a topical medication (promeris) or a dip (amitraz) or oral medication (ivermectin). 4) Autoimmune disease -- this will be small flaking areas or sores -- but will heal and then reappear elsewhere. This is diagnosed by skin biopsy and responds to steroids or other immune suppressant medication.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This is not teriibly uncommon -- and some basic diagnostics will help determine which one it most likely is. Miconazole cream (which is over the counter) could be used on mild cases of ringworm -- but this sounds like a little more advanced and the other treatments would work better. The other possible causes require prescription medications.

Customer :

Well the patches are a pale yellow, when they scrape off, the skin underneath is a dark black

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The black discoloration is indicative that there is something causing low grade inflammation going on that is there for a while before it is clinically noticed. Ringworm and demodex commonly can have this.

Customer :

in parts of her skin she would have a bump, the bump would flatten on its own in a few days and then flake off

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That sounds a little more like an infection -- or autoimmune.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Likely this will need some diagnostics to figure this out.

Customer :

I don't think it is ringworm because we have cats as pets to that my dog regularly interacts with, my cats have showed no symptoms yet

Customer :

when we went to the vet to get her shaved, they also did complimentary bloodwork and found that all her kidney functions and white blood cell count is normal

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It is not necessarily highly contagious --so that would not necessarily rule that out completely. It can spread -- but sometimes other pets or peopel are not affected.There is also an immune component to this. So if the immune system is reduced, that animal might be affected.

Customer :

if my dog does have ringworm/autoimmune disease, are there any other symptoms for it besides the flaking/hair loss?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

No -- demodex, ringworm, and certain autoimmune diseases affect the skin only in this non-itchy, flaking manner.

Customer :

gotcha

Dr. BJ Hughes :

very good -- is there anything else?

Customer :

so is this lime sulfur medication also off the counter?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The lime sulfur dips are also prescription. I wish there was a good choice for a trial treatment that was not prescription.

Customer :

ok, i'll buy some miconazole cream to try out

Customer :

thanks for your time and help

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Very good -- apply 3-4 times daily-- takes 14 days to see a good effect where the hair is returning. Also -- do not allow yoru dog to lick off (it is not harmful --- but will not work if licked off) .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Thank you .,

Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.