Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My german short haired pointer has tumors. Local vet biopsied

My german short haired pointer has tumors. Local vet biopsied and said they were fatty tumors. Said there was nothing short of surgery to correct the problem and that they would come back. I understand the surgery is quite invasive and takes a long time to heal. Is there anything to slow the growth?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello.

Dr. Andy :

Well, I can't vouch for the diagnosis (if correct or not). However, if they are lipomas, I would personally not do anything with them.

Dr. Andy :

Surgery, in this case, would be only cosmetic and serve no other purpose.

Dr. Andy :

The only time I generally do a surgery to debulk a lipoma is if it is so large it is compromising the pets quality of life, or if it is in an area of high motion (inside an arm pit or inside a hind leg) and it is affecting the way a pet is walking.

Dr. Andy :

Otherwise, I leave them alone.

Dr. Andy :

Slow growth? No. Although, keeping him at an ideal body weight and not overweight can help.

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will only credit me for the time assisting you when you click accept. .Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!

Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.