Dr. George White
Dr. George White, Veterinarian
Experience:  36 years experience, board certified emergency and critical care
48487764

My 8Year old Pug is having trouble walking I took him to my

My 8Year old Pug is having trouble walking I took him to my vet and they gave him Cholodin and said to have him on for two weeks He is no better and I called and they said to let him on two more weeks. He has been on three weeks and has trouble going when he goes to move his bowels he sits down not a good site. Should I take him somewhere else?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. George White replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Hello, I'm Dr. White and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Has there been any x rays taken of the hips or lower spine?

Customer :

Thank you

Customer :

No

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

I'm not familiar with Cholodin. What type of drug is it? Does Ronick have any lameness. Are there any neurologic deficits like an unsteady gait in the hind legs or stumbling. Doubtful this is a stroke so don't worry about that.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

If this is neurologic in nature there should be some neurologic deficit

Customer :

The drug is for nerological afects they said. He walk like he had to much to drink stumbleing and has a hard time getting up

Customer :

If he was on this drug for three weeks should he be better?

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

I'm having a tech google this drug.

Customer :

I also have a friend that works at a different Vet and he never heard of this drug?

Customer :

Ronick has had luxating patella surgery 2 years ago and stomach surgery last year My Vet said his hips and legs are fine

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

You are describing what could be ataxia which is an unsteady gait or stumbling from spinal cord compression. This drug is a vitamin suppliment. Time for a second opinion I think. I would start with a thorough neurologic exam and possible x rays of the hips and lower back This could be nothing more than arthritis that will respond to appropriate medication.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Was the luxating patella surgery on both sides?

Customer :

What kind of medication?

Customer :

No just on the right knee

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

There are canine specific arthritis drugs that are very effective in controlling the pain from arthritis. Difficult to say for certain the hips are fine if no x rays of them were taken.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Luxating patellas are usually on both sides, so that needs to be considered as a source of pain if it it present on the left side.

Customer :

So I need to take him back and ask for xrays to be taken?

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

If this were my patient I would want x rays. I'

Customer :

I guess your not near Reading PA

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Sorry, I hit the enter button by mistake. I don't think this drug will work on either a neurologic disorder or arthritis. The fact is a diagnosis has not been made and the Colodin is not working.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

No, sorry. Like I said earlier if this is in fact ataxia from a neurologic disorder there should be abnormalities on a neurologic exam. If the neuro exam is normal than x-rays are the next thing I would do.

Customer :

Roenick is only 8 and for a pug this is not old correct?

Customer :

Could if be iner ear infection?

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

You are correct in that. There are several neurologic diseases that are breed specific to Pugs that need to be considered also.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Doesn't sound like inner ear problem to me.

Customer :

I know you hear this all the time but Roenick is the best dog ever and I just want to do the best for him

Customer :

What nerologic diseases are speific to pugs?

Customer :

Did you notice I cant spell and Im 62

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

All pets are the best to their owners and of course you want the best. As I suggested earlier you might want to get another opinion. They can have vertebral abnormalities, there is a condition known as Pug encephalitis, and cysts in the brain. I don't think he has any of those, but need to be considered.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

I'm not far behind you!!

Customer :

I dont understand why my vet after doing emergency surgery on his stomach to remove a few coins that Roenick ate and he was so concerned while Roenick recovered for 6 weeks is not concered about this problem and just examined him and gave this Cholodin with out any other exam. What do the do for a neurological exam?

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

It is an exam that tests for neurologic abnormalities and attempts to localize where in the nervous system the abnormality is. It is a more detailed exam than a standard physical exam.

Customer :

So I should ask for this to be done . Thank you and is there any way I can get a copy of your recomendations?

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

I don't know if you can print our discussion or not. From what you have described a neuro exam would need to be part of the overall physical exam process as well as a thorough orthopedic exam of all the bones and joints. Good luck with Ronick. I've enjoyed talking with you.

Dr. George White, Veterinarian
Experience: 36 years experience, board certified emergency and critical care