Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My Great Dane is lethargic, has a dry nose, and has not eaten

My Great Dane is lethargic, has a dry nose, and has not eaten dinner. What could be wrong with him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christian K. :

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Dr. Christian K. :

Is his belly painful? Are his gums a normal pink color? Has he had any vomiting or diarrhea? Did this start today? Can you take his rectal temperature with a digital thermometer?

Customer :

Thank you for helping Poe

Dr. Christian K. :

You're rectum.

Dr. Christian K. :

Sorry, that should say "you're rectal thermometer can be any thermometer" I accidentally hit the enter button.

Dr. Christian K. :

What a typo! :)

Dr. Christian K. :

Happy to help.

Customer :

Haven't checked his gums. He was fine six hours ago. Ate breakfast well, urinated at noon and again about 5:00. No vomiting or diarrhea, just lethargy and no appetite (he usually will eat anything he sees or smells). I have no thermometer of any kind.

Customer :

I didn't know if "You're rectum" is a vet's way of acknowledging a communication.

Dr. Christian K. :

No, its not, sorry about that.

Customer :

He also has had no afternoon or evening bowell movement

Dr. Christian K. :

Does he feel warm to you?

Customer :

Yes

Dr. Christian K. :

Does his belly seem painful if you gently push on it?

Customer :

He also has not drunk anything to my knowledge since afternoon

Customer :

Let me see. Hold on for a moment

Dr. Christian K. :

Okay, I'll wait.

Customer :

No, his belly is not tender to the touch or gentle pressure

Customer :

Constipation, you think?

Dr. Christian K. :

That's good news. Typically with constipation he would be trying to have a bowel movement and be unsuccessful so I don't think that's the case here.

Dr. Christian K. :

Was there any time in the last day or so where he was extremely active and/or running around?

Customer :

Yes. My daughter took her dog home at about 2:45 and he was eager to go with her; alert and active

Customer :

The lethargy began about 4:00

Customer :

That is the time he begins to ask to be fed

Dr. Christian K. :

Sometimes dog can act very sore and tired about 24 hours after a lot of exercise. I was wondering if that might be the case here.

Customer :

No, he probably got less exercise today than normal

Customer :

I just returned from a vaction in China and am not aware of any increase in his activity over the past several days

Dr. Christian K. :

Okay. To be honest his symptoms are so vague it is very difficult to determine what is going on under these circumstances. Based on everything you've told me I think its okay to monitor him for a few hours and offer some warm chicken broth and perhaps some chicken breast or white rice to tempt him to eat (those are bland and easy on the stomach) but if he worsens or continues then have him seen. If possible, try to find a thermometer to get his rectal temperature since a fever could cause this. The normal temperature for a dog is 101 to 102.5. If he has a fever over 103.5 then have him seen by a vet.

Customer :

Ok. Thanks. I was wondering if I should try to find an overnight animal hospital. My reason for contacting you was to determine if I should have him seen now or wait for awhile, perhaps til morning

Customer :

I live in a small town and do not know of any all-night pharmacies

Customer :

I can look online

Dr. Christian K. :

I think its okay to give a few hours to watch but then don't hesitate to take him in if he doesn't improve in that time.

Customer :

It is 12:40 a.m. Should I stay up and observe him? I am a minister and have to be at church by 8:00 in the morning

Customer :

I think I answered my own question

Dr. Christian K. :

I'd at least watch him for an hour if you can manage it.

Customer :

Thank you doctor. I will... and longer if necessary

Customer :

Good night

Dr. Christian K. :

You are welcome. I'm sure the congregation will understand. :) God bless.

Customer :

You, too