Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

can my chihuahua have thyroid problems as he is overweight

can my chihuahua have thyroid problems as he is overweight and does not eat much. no dog treats etc. or any biscuits that we may eat.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- What do you feed him?

2- Any table food?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No table food. he has a small quantity of dog biscuits and he sometimes has a small sausage or now and again a little bit of chicken. He was so small when he was born he had to be hand reared as he was not expected to live, he ate very little and looked so skinny l encouraged him with a bit of sausage. Big mistake i expect but he was tiny and now is bigger than his siblings. it is unbelievable how he has grown.

You are right to believe this could be related to having an under active thyroid (hypothyroid), but, in a dog this young it is more likely to be nutritional. When dealing with biological systems however we often see exceptions. I would recommend to have your veterinarian take a simple blood test and check his thyroid levels. If they are normal, than it is purely nutritional. When addressing weight issues in dogs one can either feed him less of what you currently are feeding or change him to light formula and feed according to the label recommendation for his target weight. Example. If you want him to be 10 pounds you feed him for a 10 pound dog. The best way to target is weight is by his body condition. If you follow the link below it will teach you to evaluate his ideal weight. I would recommend to eliminate all chicken, sausage, etc. Put him on a light formula and feed according to their recommendations. In addition, increase his activity level to burn excess fat; take him for walks and gradually increase the distance.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Forgot to mention that his testes never dropped and the vet had to operate to find them for removal. one was high up in his abdomen and the other lower down. can that make a difference?
No, having a history of undescended testicles makes no difference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does having them removed make him liable to put on weight?

Yes, animals that are neutered can gain more weight easier as they do not have the testosterone available. However, this does not mean that a dog will be overweight if neutered. It means that with the same intake he can gain more weight than a dog that is not neutered. Making dietary changes can maintain a normal weight.