Dr. Chad
Dr. Chad, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian for almost 20 years and 80% of my practice is dogs
13957441

my dogs tongue is a really dark red rather than the bright

Customer Question

my dog's tongue is a really dark red rather than the bright pink it ususally is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chad replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Chad :

Good Afternoon! I love Pugs! How long have you noticed this change?

Dr. Chad :

Good Afternoon! I love Pugs! How long have you noticed this change? Do you notice any difficulty breathing? More difficult than normal for a Pug:))

Expert:  Dr. Chad replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry. I accidentally emitted out of the chat type discussion. Is it OK to discuss problem this way?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello - sorry for the delay in my response. I just noticed it within the last 24 hours. No difficulty breathing.
Expert:  Dr. Chad replied 6 years ago.
May I ask if your Pug's weight is normal or too heavy or too thin?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Normal according to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. Chad replied 6 years ago.
OK. Thanks. The reason I ask is that most of the Pugs that I see are very overweight and commonly there tongue is darker because of the effect the weight has on their respirations, especially since they have some trouble breathing just due to the way their nose and airways are built. Their are some toxins that can make their tongue a darker color (such as chocolate and carbon monoxide), but they are very rare and you would be noticing other signs. With the absence of other signs (especially respiratory changes) I can't imagine it would be a sign of a problem. There are a lot of causes of a really pale tongue, but one darker red in color I wouldn't be concerned about.