Dr. Eric
Dr. Eric, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of veterinary medicine experience including medicine, surgery, emergency and critical care.
50256852

My dog just gorged himself on about 3-4 lbs of dog food-not

Customer Question

My dog just gorged himself on about 3-4 lbs of dog food-not his brand- and now he is uncomfortable but I see no pale gums, no whining, no excessive saliva, and has not attempted to throw up. I checked for bowel sounds and they are present in lower intestines, but his belly is really tight. Should I induce vomiting or let the food work its way out? I had a dog die from bloat once before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Eric replied 6 years ago.
I personal like to induce vomiting on these guys. This is a type of bloat but isn't as severe as your previous experience. The food given time will probably pass but he can be very uncomfortable until that happens. Also it is possible that he could injure his stomach with such a large amount in there. I usually use a drug called apomorphine to induce vomiting (your local vet or emergency center should have this). It is injected into the vein or sometimes apply in the eye. Alternatively you can try a couple table spoons of hydrogen peroxide but this can have side effects. The mechanism of action is to irritate the stomach lining therefore causing vomiting. This irritation can last a while and he may continue to vomit. Also with that much food in his stomach it may just absorb into the food. Base bet would be to see your vet or local emergency center to induce vomiting. Good luck and thanks for using Just Answer.