Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

What is the difference between cataracts and glaucoma in dogs

Customer Question

What is the difference between cataracts and glaucoma in dogs and what is the treatment?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello.

Dr. Andy :

Well, cataract is the formation of the "crystal-like" reflections within the lens of the eye. Glaucoma represents a increased pressure "within the inside of the eyeball." So, very different conditions. Cataract formation can actually induce glaucoma sometimes.

Dr. Andy :

I am going to send you some links that may be helpful:

Dr. Andy :

and

Dr. Andy :

The presence of cataract in the lens does NOT necessarily mean treatment is needed. However, when the pressures in the eyeball increase and glaucoma is present, this can be very painful. The treatment is generally topical and/or oral medications to lower the pressures.

Dr. Andy :

The bluish color I can't comment on as easily. It greatly depends on whether it is a bluish cast within the inside chamber of the eye, on the surface of the cornea, etc....

Dr. Andy :

I think that should cover your question.

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). Just Answer will not credit me for the time assisting you, and it helps me to recognize that we are finished. Leaving feedback and a bonus is not required, but is greatly appreciated!

Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion and follow-up, if needed.

JACUSTOMER-s6tgkke2- :

It is inside the eye and his eyes are brown

JACUSTOMER-s6tgkke2- :

It came up so suddenly. I gave him a flea bath one day and the next his left eye was blue. I ordered Nu Vet Plus and started him on that 3 days ago and today I noticed his right eye looks the same as the left. Will Nu Vet Plus help for cataracts as well as glaucoma?

Dr. Andy :

Okay. In that case, the bluish color could suggest corneal edema. That is, an inflammatory reaction that may be caused by some corneal irritation or a corneal ulcer caused by chemical burn from the shampoo getting into the eye.

Dr. Andy :

Keep in mind, that is completely! a guess, as I have no way to assess the key, but I wanted to try and give you some type of comment.

Dr. Andy :

JACUSTOMER-s6tgkke2- :

What do you do to treat it?

Dr. Andy :

Well, you start with a eye stain test first to see if there is an ulcer:

JACUSTOMER-s6tgkke2- :

The color is blue and cloudy within the eye

Dr. Andy :

It is the result of the stain test that dictates what type of eye medication is used.

Dr. Andy :

Within the eyeball can suggest a condition called anterior uveitis. That's when there is an inflamamtory condition literally within the eyeball.

Dr. Andy :

I can't really elaborate on that, as there are numerous causes.

Dr. Andy :

I will need to drive home shortly as I am finishing a late shift. Is there anything else I can help with?

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to click "accept" if the advice has been helpful. I do truly appreciate it

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Well, I hope you are just reading the information and links I sent. I have to drive for about 1/2 hour before I can reply further.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck...and just reply further if there is anything else I can add for you.

Dr. Andy :