Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

my dogs eye is red and bulging out, hes a 12yr old pug. took

my dogs eye is red and bulging out, hes a 12yr old pug. took him to the vet and she doesnt no why:( she said she cant see in there, theres too much going on in there, she said. so i got some eyedrops and some painkillers for him:( she said i can take him to that eye doctor and they might suggest eye removal:( i dont want my 12yr old dog to go thur sugery:( so now what? he acts fine, eatn drinkn walkn, hes just blind with a bulging red eye! what do i do? help:(
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Scarlett :

Hi, I'm really concerned about your dog! Did your vet test the pressure of the eye with a Tonopen or a Schiotz tonometer? A bulging red eye can indicate glaucoma, which is an emergency! If it is glaucoma, with quick treatment the eye can potentially be saved.

Dr. Scarlett :

Does the eye seem painful to Sammy? When did the problem start? Is there any discharge from the eye? Does he seem to be visual in that eye?

Dr. Scarlett :

What eye drops were sent home? Do you have an emergency vet in your area?

Customer :

he def has no vision in that eye and hasent in about 4months, theres was discharge but the drops seem to be helping that. the drops are called tobramycin othalmic solution, it really started gettn bad on tues when i brought him, he acts fine, he doesnt have a temp, just cant bellieve she was no help

Dr. Scarlett :

OK, well since he hasn't had vision in 4 months, I guess I'm a little less concerned you get to an emergency vet tonight!

Customer :

ok well thanks for your help

Dr. Scarlett :

However I would get him to another vet in the morning (or yet this evening if he seems painful). Besides glaucoma (and if he has this, I would recommend enucleation of the eye because it is painful), he could have a corneal ulcer. These are also painful and he would be squinting or keeping that eye closed. The sclera and conjunctiva would be quite red with an ulcer and there can be discharge, particularly if the ulcer has become infected. The tobramycin will help with any infection.

Dr. Scarlett :

I also wouldn't be too horrified at the thought of removing a non-visual eye that is causing him problems. If there is something seriously wrong with that eye, then Sammy is having chronic pain. Since he can't see out of that eye anyway, removing the source of the chronic pain will make him feel so much better. The surgery isn't too awful, although post-op there can be some swelling and, rarely, some discharge from the incision. Some ophthamologists will put a "fake" eye under the skin, so the area doesn't become sunken in and it is very aesthetic when finished.

Customer :

hes not squinting and i def have him on rimadly and another pain killer thats stonger, he doesnt even limp anymore, believe me i dont want to see him in ANY pain! can his eye pop out?

Customer :

i also dont no if he could handle such a surgery? hes old, i had surgery and its not fun

Dr. Scarlett :

Usually these dogs (pugs included) with normally bulging eyes require some sort of trauma to the head to cause the eye to pop out of the socket. So hopefully that won't happen with Sammy. As I think further about him, another possibility for the bulging has come to mind. It is possible that he has a tumor behind that eye that is pushing it forward. Not sure if you know why he lost vision in that eye originally (cataract?), but a tumor on the optic nerve would certainly cause blindness. If it is a tumor (and a veterinary ophthalmologist would be the best to diagnose it), then I would also recommend surgery.

Dr. Scarlett :

At 12 years old, as long as everything else is fine (ie. do pre-op bloodwork to check liver, kidneys, etc), I would expect Sammy to do very well during and after the surgery. They will keep him on pain medication and the surgery itself isn't too long, so he won't be under anesthesia for a really long time (or he shouldn't be).

Customer :

well the vet did say something could be behind it but she cant see in there, she said theres alot going on in there. he has catarax and eye pigmintation took him to his yearly vet visit in april and he seems to be going down hill since, total vision loss and limping bad, not barking just not the same:(

Customer :

dont want to take up to much of your time, thank you for your advice, :)

Dr. Scarlett :

I think it would be worth a consult with an ophthalmologist before "throwing in the towel" on Sammy. Or at least starting with bloodwork at your regular vet to evaluate his internal organs. If everything there is good and his arthritis is responding well to Rimadyl, then I think he would benefit (or could benefit) from surgery. But if anything is amiss and/or there is a tumor present, then keeping him comfortable and giving him a good quality of life is a very reasonable option.

Customer :

exactly i want him to have a gd life and he seems miserable, he used to run with me hike 14ners! he was such and althletic pug, my heart breaks seeing him like this

Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.