Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

my dog has these bumps on her head, its not sore, she doesnt

my dog has these bumps on her head, its not sore, she doesnt scratch at it. It just bothers me because im not sure what it is. just as fast as it appears it dissappears, im just wondering if it would be life threatening or something that can be treated. she has a doctors appt., but not till later. she eats normally and is active.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Gabby :

hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer.

Dr. Gabby :

Can you tell me her breed and age please?

Customer :

she is a chihuahua and will be 4 in october

Dr. Gabby :

Thank you. What do the bumps look like? What color?

Customer :

majority of them are just little lumps and the same color as her skin. ive seen one that was maybe a little red

Dr. Gabby :

is there any hair loss in the area?

Customer :

no

Dr. Gabby :

How big are the lumps?

Customer :

tiny, the biggest i seen ia size of a pencil eraser and smaller.

Dr. Gabby :

And they are always only on her head?

Customer :

yes only on her head

Dr. Gabby :

Ok, it does not sounds life threatening at all

Dr. Gabby :

She may have allergies. Allergies can cause hives which can come and go.

Dr. Gabby :

Allergies can also cause inflammation of the hair follicles or folliculitis.

Dr. Gabby :

She could be allergic to an ingredient in her dog food or something in the environment such as pollen.

Dr. Gabby :

Dogs also have oil glands in their skin. When the oil glands block up, the can form bumps.

Dr. Gabby :

When the oil gland is draining proplerly again, the bumps go down.

Dr. Gabby :

It does NOT sound like tumors because they come and go.

Customer :

its gone within half an hour after they appear

Dr. Gabby :

Since they do not bother her, I would not do any treatment at this time. Unless they bother you.

Dr. Gabby :

That sounds like some kind of allergy.

Customer :

im still planning on taking her to the doctor to see what she can do for me.

Dr. Gabby :

You could try keeping her on an antihistamine. You can use benadryl. Her dose is 1 mg of benadryl for every pound of body weight twice a day. So if she weighs 5 pounds, she would get 5 mg of benadryl.

Dr. Gabby :

You can also use hydrocortisone cream, or spray, on the bumps for inflammation.

Dr. Gabby :

But if they go away, a half hour after they come on, then you may not need to do anything. Try to think of if she goes outside, or eats, right before she gets the bumps. Try to see if you can find the trigger.

Customer :

i notice it when she wakes up not so much when she eats or goes outside, she hardly goes outside. what would an ant bite look like?

Dr. Gabby :

An ant bite would just be a small swelling. Where does she sleep?

Customer :

or it would be in the middle of the day, i thought it could be becasue she has her head under the blanket and it gets hot and maybe the skin would get irritated, she sleeps in my bed and i have been noticing ants here and there.

Dr. Gabby :

yes I think that could be it

Dr. Gabby :

Especially if she were allergic to ant bites

Dr. Gabby :

Or she could be allergic to the blanket

Dr. Gabby :

Or the fabric softener or detergent

Customer :

ok so i could be a number of things, im just gonna have to do process of elimination.

Dr. Gabby :

Yes, but it does not sound like anything serious. Just sounds like an annoying problem.

Customer :

and she does have a special shampoo because the doctor said her skin is sensitive.. and where i live is hot during the day.

Dr. Gabby :

Ok, I think you have some detective work to do : )

Customer :

ok, well thank you so much for reassuring me, i greatly appreciate it. now i dont have to do worry too much.

Dr. Gabby :

No, I would not worry at all. You are very welcome.

Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.