Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

my dogs nose is dry and one nostril looks stuffy with mudry

my dog's nose is dry and one nostril looks stuffy with mudry mucus, should I be worried or do something
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

What do you mean by "mudry mucus? What color is it exactly?

Dr. Lee :

Does he have any sneezing or coughing?

Dr. Lee :

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Dr. Lee :

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Dr. Lee :

Is he lethargic?

Dr. Lee :

Is he defecating and urinating normally?

Dr. Lee :

Dr. Lee :

Looks like you are offline. I will switch to Q&A session now.

Hi. If you can please give me more information as requested above so I can better understand the situation and help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I was off line. I was waiting for an answer.

I meant "dry mucus", it is brownish in color and dry and crusty and the one nostril seems pretty much stuffed up, still. He seems otherwise fine, though he has been sneezing some. He also pants a lot, though he does that generally more so, even before this issue occurred.
No vomiting or other GI issues, and his eating, sleeping, urinating, defecating, etc. are normal.

Thanks for the info.

Given this situation, I would be highly suspicious of either nasal infection (fungal and/or bacteria), nasal cancer, or nasal foreign body. He needs to go see your vet for exam and x-ray of the nose. If it is a simple infection, antibiotic and/or anti-fungal medication will help. However, if it is cancer, then it really depends on how bad it is to determine the prognosis. And if it is foreign body, then surgery is needed to remove it. At this point, it is best to have him checked out. If that is not possible, you can potentially give him some human over the counter Chlortrimeton 4 mg tablets and give 1 tablet per 15 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. Please keep in mind that this will only temporarily help with the sneezing and will not likely solve the problem.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.