Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

my dogs nose is dry and one nostril looks stuffy with mudry

my dog's nose is dry and one nostril looks stuffy with mudry mucus, should I be worried or do something
Submitted: 4 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

What do you mean by "mudry mucus? What color is it exactly?

Dr. Lee :

Does he have any sneezing or coughing?

Dr. Lee :

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Dr. Lee :

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Dr. Lee :

Is he lethargic?

Dr. Lee :

Is he defecating and urinating normally?

Dr. Lee :

Thanks.

Dr. Lee :

Looks like you are offline. I will switch to Q&A session now.

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Hi. If you can please give me more information as requested above so I can better understand the situation and help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I was off line. I was waiting for an answer.

I meant "dry mucus", it is brownish in color and dry and crusty and the one nostril seems pretty much stuffed up, still. He seems otherwise fine, though he has been sneezing some. He also pants a lot, though he does that generally more so, even before this issue occurred.
No vomiting or other GI issues, and his eating, sleeping, urinating, defecating, etc. are normal.
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

Given this situation, I would be highly suspicious of either nasal infection (fungal and/or bacteria), nasal cancer, or nasal foreign body. He needs to go see your vet for exam and x-ray of the nose. If it is a simple infection, antibiotic and/or anti-fungal medication will help. However, if it is cancer, then it really depends on how bad it is to determine the prognosis. And if it is foreign body, then surgery is needed to remove it. At this point, it is best to have him checked out. If that is not possible, you can potentially give him some human over the counter Chlortrimeton 4 mg tablets and give 1 tablet per 15 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. Please keep in mind that this will only temporarily help with the sneezing and will not likely solve the problem.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery