YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years general medicine, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

My pregnant dog is humping my leg. Why?

Customer Question

Why is my pregnant dog humping my leg!! Does that mean she is not pregnant?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 6 years ago.

Mounting behavior in dogs is a way of displaying dominance and status among themselves. It is usually hormonally influenced which means that her behavior may be a sign she is pregnant. If she is not pregnant she could be going through a false pregnancy which usually lasts about 2 weeks.

Continue to monitor for physical development of the big belly, mammary development and behavioral tendencies like nesting and mounting. If you know when she may have gotten pregnant I recommend that you have her to the vet around 40-45 days as this is when the puppies can be seen on x-ray.

This way you will have an idea of how many puppies to expect when the day comes for the pups to be born. Total gestation time is 63-65 days in dogs.

Thanks for your question.