Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

My dog keeps peeing blood & dime size clots of blood are coming

Customer Question

My dog keeps peeing blood & dime size clots of blood are coming out.(Male - 14 yrs) I have spent thousands on lab work, ultrasounds, x-rays, and they find no stones, no cancer, and just give me antibiotics. It clears, then comes back. What is it????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christie replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Christie :

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

Dr. Christie :

Has a culture and sensitivity been performed on Max?

Dr. Christie :

Is Max neutered?

Customer :

Yes - Urine sample everytime, and now it's happening again. Yes he's neutered

Dr. Christie :

do you remember what bacteria the cultures yielded?

Dr. Christie :

has it been the same everytime?

Dr. Christie :

any resistance on the culture?

Customer :

No - they just tell me it's full of bacteria. Same everytime. No resistance I'm aware of. I was giving him aspirin, they told me to quit, but the vet also said the aspirin would affect digestive, not urinary, but I quit giving it to Max. He's been clear for a couple months, now blood clot and dark red pee. I looked at his penis, and it has blood on the end. I'm so frustrated, I haven't taken him back to the vet yet

Customer :

He's dribbling too

Customer :

Small Alaska town, not a lot of vet options

Dr. Christie :

has bloodwork been run on max to rule out any kidney issues or even blood disorders?

Dr. Christie :

I would first check with your vet and make sure a culture and sensitivity has been run

Dr. Christie :

there is a way to look under a microscope to look and see if there is bacteria

Dr. Christie :

I am hoping they did the culture and sensitivity and it wasn't just a simple look under the microscope

Dr. Christie :

if it has been done, I would be curious if there has been any resistance and what type of bacteria

Dr. Christie :

next I would want to know if there has ever been any crystals present in the urine

Customer :

I'm checking

Dr. Christie :

ok

Customer :

done culture, no blood work, no crystals present

Dr. Christie :

do you have the culture results at all?

Customer :

diagnosis was cystitis

Dr. Christie :

Has Max had any contrast xrays done of his bladder to look for any abnormalities in the bladder, such as a defect in the wall of the bladder? (a contrast involves either air or a dye in the bladder)

Customer :

regular x-rays, no dye

Dr. Christie :

how long has Max been having UTIs?

Customer :

About a year

Dr. Christie :

any straining to urinate?

Dr. Christie :

I am going to opt out as I have to leave. Do not reply to this post and another veterinarian will continue this chat with you momentarily. Good luck!

Customer :

Yes - he seems to just tinkle, and he stands there forever or walks several places

Dr. Christie :

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 years ago.

I would like to help you with Max.

Did your vet perform the culture and sensitivity of the urine (this is a special urine test where the urine is sent to a microbiology laboratory. There they identify the specific bacteria that is in the urine, and which antibiotics should be effective against the bacteria)?

What antibiotics does Max get, and for how long is he kept on the antibiotics (it is possible that he is not on the antibiotics long enough, or the antibiotic is not effective anymore)?

What were the results of the ultrasound? Was the ultrasound performed by a specialist, or a general practitioner?

Was any blood work run? Were any abnormalities noted?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
His urine was sent to a lab. Diagnosis was cystitis. He has been on different antibiotics - long time twice, and a couple different kinds. Last one was cephaxalin. The ultrasound was done by th vet, and standard xray. No signs of stones, growths, cancer.... I don't think the vet has ever taken blood. I'm totally frustated - the last 2 times he has me bring in urine to verify infection, and more antibiotics. He doesn't know is the answer I get