petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Maggots in Dog Poop. Could They Be Worms?

I found what looks like maggots in my dog's poop. Is it worms, and if so what should I do

Was this fresh stool that you noted it in (right when it came out) or was it stool on the ground for a while? Are the stools formed? Is she otherwise acting ok?

Customer :

Within three days and the maggots were alive. She is acting OK and yes the stools were formed

Dr Z :

If it was stool that set on the ground for even a few hours, it is likely that the flies found it and laid their eggs on it and that led to the maggots (versus her being infected with worms) Really the only worms that look even somewhat close to maggots are tapeworm segments, but they are even bigger, more like a grain of rice. I would look at her rectal area for live or dried pieces of segments. It will look like dried rice.

Customer :

They looked like a grain of rice and we have three golden retrievers and it was only in a few of the stools

Dr Z :

Tape worms are tricky because they don't pass segments with every stool, so it is hit or miss to see which one it is coming from unless you see them dried on the hair or see it right when it comes out and they are there.

Customer :

OK. I checked all three goldens and nothing around any of their rectal areas

Dr Z :

They are not contagious and they have to go through an intermediate host to infect them. In dogs that would be from ingesting rabbits or ingesting fleas. The safest thing to do is to treat everyone. I will send you a link with more information.

Customer :

They just got back from the groomer's on Saturday and they don't have fleas

Dr Z :

They don't have to have fleas now, but if they ever ingested one, the worm can be in there for years!!

Customer :

ok thanks for the help

Dr Z :

tapes It would not be a bad idea to have your vet run a fecal sample for other worms as well if they haven't had one checked recently. I hope that helps. Good luck.

Customer :

It helps alot. Thank you