Dr. M. Vitucci MS, DVM
Dr. M. Vitucci MS, DVM, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Masters in Physiology (OSU), DVM OSU ('06), Accreditations in multiple orthopedic surgeries

Where can a canine epipen be acquired My vet says she cant

Where can a canine epipen be acquired? My vet says she can't find a supplier.

hi there...You can do one of two things. First, get a small amount of epi from you vet. Be sure it is placed in a glass vial. It needs to kept in the fridge and away from light. have them give you a 1 mL syringe and have them calculate your dogs dosage. Secondly, a human epi pen can be used if needed. Human skin and dog skin have different thicknesses due to the amount of collagen. Because of this difference the human epi pen is not as good. My advice...go with option one.

hope this helps.

Dr. Vitucci

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I asked my, not so helpful vet, she did not provide any indication that acquiring epi from her was an option. So, is there a source where epi can be purchased, do I need to get another vets assistance? We have had 5 separate emergencies for 5 separate episodes, all different triggers to the emergency pet clinic.

you can have a vet give you a small amount of epinephrine in a would be just like us giving the drug in case of an emergency. Have them show you how to give it in the muscle. If you have have several emergencies they should give you some. A different vet may be an option for you. I know for a fact that we have done this for several clients and i know of two that have used it for such emergencies. I hope this helps.

Dr. V