Dr Z
Dr Z, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

my dogs stomach is making very loud noises. when we just went

my dog's stomach is making very loud noises. when we just went for a walk, she tried eating grass. she doesn't seem to be too uncomfortable but I can hear her stomach from across the room! can I give her an antacid? She is a 34 pound beagle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Z replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Z :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer chat.

Dr Z :

I am D Z and I will try to help you.

Customer :

thanks

Dr Z :

Did she eat normally today and have you seen a normal stool?

Customer :

has not yet eaten her dinner food and saw a normal stool this morning. nothing this afternoon

Customer :

the only other unusual thing is that she ate an entire (cooked) chicken wing yesterday (last night's dinner that my father dropped on the floor accidentally) -- bones and all. of course we never give the dog chicken bones of any kind, but she ate the whole thing in nothing flat.

Customer :

just one wing though

Dr Z :

That sounds like most beagles I know! She is probably going through a bout of gastroenteritis caused by her dietary indescretion last night.

Dr Z :

The best thing you can do is to fast her to give her GI tract a rest. Since she is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. It is also OK to use pepto bismol in dogs for a short time. The dose is approximately 1 tsp per 50 pounds of body weight. This can be repeated twice a day but I would not use it longer than 2-3 days. If you are not seeing improvement, you would need to have her examined by your vet.

Customer :

thank you! I'm not sure she'd agree to a 12-24 hour fast, but we will give it a try. I will also give her the small, digestible meals. thanks for the pepto bismol tip, too!

Customer :

should I expect to see vomiting?

Dr Z :

As far as the bones, believe it or not, those usually dissolve pretty quickly in the stomach or they pass without a problem. If she chewed it at all, we do have to worry about the potential for a possible puncture.

Customer :

it was so fast, I'm not sure she chewed it

Customer :

how would a puncture show itself? she was acting fine this morning (and the chicken bone incident was at about 6 last night)

Dr Z :

But, I think her signs are more consistant with an irritated gut. If she doesn't improve, or starts to seem to get worse instead of better and exhibits abdominal pain, I would have her checked out.

Customer :

ok

Dr Z :

You may or may not see vomiting, but I would more likely expect soft stools tonight or tomorrow. The bland diet shoudl help with that.

Dr Z :

If she does start vomiting, better to have her examined and maybe have your vet administer injectable meds for her as oral meds in a vomiting dog do not help too much.

Customer :

thank you!

Dr Z :

I hope she is feeling better soon. I have a soft spot in my heart for beagles.

Customer :

thanks! she is the world to me, too

Customer :

my first baby

Dr Z :

If you feel this has been helpful, please click on the accept button and it will close out the post. You can also refer back to the post in the future if you have updates or additonal questions about this and I can reply for no additional charge.

Dr Z, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience caring for dogs and cats