Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

My female weimaraners umbilical hernia has turned very hard,

My female weimaraners umbilical hernia has turned very hard, she is two and a half years old. She just had a litter of pups about two months ago and I just checked her belly and it has become very hard. She does not seem to be in pain, should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

Was the hernia a reducible or non-reducible hernia?

Dr. Lee :

Hello? Are you there?

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.

If you can please give me more information as requested above, so I can better understand the problem and help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
she has an umbilical hernia, my vet told me it was not a bad one just to rub it daily, she got pregnant and it never went away, now it is hard as a rock. Is this common?
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 6 years ago.

Umbilical hernia itself is not uncommon. There are 2 types of hernia, either reducible (meaning it can be push back inside the belly), or non-reducible (cannot push back inside). Usually when it is soft, they are usually just fat from the abdomen. When it becomes firm, it can be a problem as it is now stuck. It is not necessarily life threatening depending on if it is reducible or non-reducible. It is best to have that fixed. Now that it has been 2 months after she had the puppies, she can also be spayed at the same time if needed. If you want to keep her intact, she should still have the hernia repaired before it gets worse, meaning getting bigger and in case if there are intestine that can loop into it and get stuck, causing necrosis (death) of the intestine.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.