Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

can i give my 75 pound dog 2 buffered aspirin | i thought 2x

can i give my 75 pound dog 2 buffered aspirin?| i thought 2x daily, the vet office made me feel like an abuser, i know some vets say ok, some say to only but their expensive meds from office, my husband is out of work, and it seems to me the vet is saying buy the expensive med, or let your dog go in pain, that sucks.......cant they help us who are having bad ecconomic times, i just paid 700 dollars on surgery she needed, so i do care., i love her so much, but buffered aspinn can give humans ulcers too, but we take it is rare cases in both animals and humans for it to happen
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Scott :

Hello there,

Dr. Scott :

What mg are the aspirin?

JACUSTOMER-7wm1k00f- :

325, buffered. she is 75# XXXXX just had anals removed and is doing beautifully.

Dr. Scott :

The aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg per pound body weight every 12-24 hours as needed. It must be given with food as it can cause stomach upset in some dogs. A 75 pound dog would only get one 325 mg aspirin every 12 hours. Pepcid AC can also be used at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight every 24 hours as needed if there is stomach upset.

JACUSTOMER-7wm1k00f- :

ok, one 325 mg q12h. i always give with yogurt or cottage cheese. the vets should be more helpful when money is short, i dont have much respect after them telling me office med is my only option. im an lpn and did alot of research, and i found some saying yes and some saying never. i went to this site as you dont have any gain money wise from your advise, i think the vet office just would like to push meds for money, but they need to give wu truthful advice when money is short and we just want our pets comfortable....................thanks