Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery

My dog just licked up some Sevin Dust that I put on the grass.

My dog just licked up some Sevin Dust that I put on the grass. He's acting really funny now. Is there something I can give him (like maybe milk) that would make him throw it up?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Lee :

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Dr. Lee :

How much does he weight?

Dr. Lee :

And how much did he lick up?

Dr. Lee :

How is he acting now?

Dr. Lee :

And how long ago did he lick it?

Customer :

He weighs 6.75 lbs

Customer :

I'm not sure how much he licked up before I noticed.

Customer :

He keeps trying to lick everything, like he's trying to get it out of his mouth

Customer :

It was approx 30 minutes ago now.

Customer :

He also is spitting up a foamy spit.

Customer :

He's hiccuping some too

Dr. Lee :

Thanks for the info.

Dr. Lee :

Sevin Dust for dogs are not really toxic. For birds it is toxic.

Dr. Lee :

The ingestion of Sevin Dust will usually lead to transient GI upset.

Customer :

Could it have been a plant then? My mother has an exotic plant sitting outside.

Dr. Lee :

Plants ingestion can also lead to the same type of signs, depending on the type.

Dr. Lee :

What you are seeing is very common for this type of ingestions.

Customer :

I dont know what kind it is

Dr. Lee :

For now, I would suggest to allow him to drink as much water as possible.

Dr. Lee :

No need to give any medications etc.

Customer :

What can I do to help him?

Customer :

Ok....I've been trying to do that

Dr. Lee :

Simply monitor him for the next 4 to 6 hours.

Dr. Lee :

If he does not drink water and acts lethargic, or if you see lots of vomiting, then he will need to seek emergency treatment.

Customer :

Ok. If he gets worse I'll take him to the animal hospital in town. Thank you!

Dr. Lee :

But for the most part, this is transient and will go away in time. Sometimes it can take up to 12 to 24 hours.

Customer :

He's a bundle of energy - completely opposite of lethargic.

Customer :

Thank you for your advice.

Dr. Lee :

Then there is no worries for the time being. But close monitoring is definitely recommended.

Customer :

I'll do that. He's my baby.

Dr. Lee :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Customer :

None right now.

Customer :

Thanks again.

Dr. Lee :

One last thing:

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 3 years ago.

One last thing, you should also be looking out for neurological problems. Ingestion of too much Sevin Dust can also lead to neurological problems, as it is a carbamate. Things to look for include salivation, lacrimation (tears), urination, defecation, anxiety, muscle weakness. If any of these occur, he will also need to go to the ER for treatment, which includes giving atropine and muscle relaxant.