Dr. Meredith
Dr. Meredith, Veterinarian
Experience:  mixed animal experience, post-graduate veterinary training

are tape worms contagious to other dogs and humans

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Meredith replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Meredith and I would like to help. I am sorry to hear that Nico has tapeworms. Pieces of tapeworms look like little pieces of rice. These are usually transmitted by fleas, which are ingested by the dog (or cat). The only way a human or another animal can get the tapeworms from Nico would be to ingest an infected flea. In summary, I would treat your dog (and any other pets) with a flea preventative. One of the best over-the-counter products is called Frontline Plus. You could always take a fecal sample to your veterinarian to confirm the diagnosis and to receive a deworming treatment (such as praziquantel). It will be important to stay on a flea prevention for a few months in order to break down that pesty flea cycle. Best of luck!