Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

My dog has a round open sore on her side the size of a dime.

My dog has a round open sore on her side the size of a dime. There is no puss but feels like it is a quarter of an inch deep. My vet is not open till thursday, should I be more conserned and have her seen tommorow or do you think it can wait?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hi there,

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is there any bleeding ?

Customer:

hellow

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Basically, Treat this as a regualr wound --

Customer:

how

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Trim the hair from the area -- then

Dr. BJ Hughes :

clean with warm water and soap --- and dry very well

Customer:

the hair is gone and it is raw

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You can then use an antiseptic -- chlorhexidine, betadine, or hydrogen peroxide --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and dry again -

Customer:

ok

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The raw look may indicate that this is a "hot spot" often a allergic primary cause.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

So

Customer:

what causes it

Dr. BJ Hughes :

after cleaning well -- you can apply a small amount of hydrocrotisone. neosporin, and clortrimazole creams -- these are all avaialble at the human pharmacy over the counter. Apply 2-3 times per day .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

As to cause -- what breed is your dog?

Customer:

shepard, chow mix

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ok -- this is one factor --- the thick fur can hold moisture within -- and result in an overgrowth of normal bacteria and yeast on the skin. They are common -- the single biggest complication is ifthe dog is licking or biting at the wound. Then an elizabethian collar is necessary.

Customer:

Can there be internal infection and if yes what do I look for?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

'Also

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You can use benedryl at a dosage of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. This will assist in inflammation control

Customer:

I have three others that are going for it and that is when I saw it growing, Light bulb

Dr. BJ Hughes :

No -- typically this is a skin infection only -- but a vet exam would confirm that it is just the skin. What do you mean that by "you have three others going for it?" -- that is when I saw it growing -- light bulb?

Customer:

well thanks this makes me feel better, I will clean it and keep the herd off her. I thought them licking it would help guess not.

Customer:

I have three other dogs

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And the others are licking at it ?

Customer:

yes

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This will cause more of an issue and prevent healing -- so definitely stop any licking by any of them -- then it may satnd a chance of healing. This is a guess from a distance -- but form the description and breed -- this is likely what you are working with.

Customer:

thank you