Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

what is the best treatment for nasal allergy in dogs, have

what is the best treatment for nasal allergy in dogs, have completed multiple ABx, rhinoscopy, anti fungal meds, ivermectin and benadryl, labs and nasal Cx. My dog continues to have copious nasal discharge-benadryl seems to be the best treatment but there must be a longer acting antihistamine/decongestant for dogs like there are for humans, any answers would be appreciated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there -- Sorry for the delay --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Welcome to Just Answer. So benedryl orally has worked best -- any results when on steroids?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I will switch this to a question and answer.

HI there -- I do have some ideas for you -- but need a little more info to best help --

If you could let me know if the benedryl orally worked best --- and if there was any improvement from steroids (oral) I assume?

Also -- is there any skin allergies as well or just the allergic airways?

Is it periodic ---seasonal, or constant?

Thanks -- this will help me

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, oral steroids w/ no significant improvement other than accidents, I am apprehensive w/ steroids as they did not seem effective-Benadryl orally has been the most effective treatment so far. There doesn't appear to be any skin allergies-no constant itching or biting of the skin nor any spots that are rubbed to the skin. this has been ongoing since last fall and I'm already $2500 in and I truly need an answer or a more effective treatment

Ok - -

First there are none of these preparations that are made for dogs -- though there are generic forms of human meds that can be used in dogs -- as approved by your vet.

Antihistamines -- this is like benedryl --- no nasal sprays -- but oral meds. Claritin (loratidine) and Chlorophenramine (less sedating than benedryl) are both over the counter and generic human forms can be used in dogs. Results can vary form one anthistamine to another -- ao if benedryl has worked --then trialing these may be a good idea, Generally it takes 14-21 days to assess a treatment like this.

Nasal decongestant sprays -- are not suitable longer term due to rebound effects -- these only open the airways -- do reduction in drainage.

Steroid nasal spays -- this is an awesome alternative for people and dogs with allergies. Since they are topical in the nose -- they have no systemic effect -- only local effect or reduction of inflammation in the nasal passages. Used widely in human medicine, there are some references to use in dogs. May be less effective if dog has a very long nose -- more effective if shorter nosed. Applied once daily in most cases just like a human nasal spray. Takes 2 weeks to see full effect. Generenic fluticasone nasal spray is available. These are prescription -- and after using and calming the nasal passages for 2 weeks -- you may be able to drop back to use in rotation of nostril used in -- or use every other day.,

A combination of oral antihistamines and steroid spray may do the trick to reduce the inflammation and drainage. Especially after all the work you have done to rule out other possible causes....it is helpful to know that this is what we are dealing with.

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What are the dosags for my dog who weighs ~95lbs for claritin/chlorpheniramine and do I need to talk to my Vet for prescription for fluticasone.

Hi again --

For antihistamines ---

Claritin (loratidine -- generic) -- .5mg per kg -- for your dog 10 mg per day --and it come in 10 mg tablets.

OR

Chlorphenramine -- For your dog 8 mg every 8 hours

Yes -- fluticasone spray is prescription --

Hope that helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry for the delay I had to be at work and couldn't finish our chat, I'd like some other options for $48 more so because I already new of the other meds just not dosages and whether they were safe. Any other insight or other treatments that mazy be effective? I found a website Nuvet Plus that claims to help clear up allergies is there any truth to their claim??

Hi again --

So far I have not recieved any payment for my time -- so I am sure there have not been two charges. Your deposit is in your account here -- and you can request it back. But since you have not accepted an answer -- no money has been transfered.

So sorry -- thought I had covered your question regarding antihistmine/decongestant sprays -- and given you other options ( steroid sprays ) that are not commonly used in vet med. but are use in human med.

Finally -- it you are looking for a miracle cure for allergies -- it does not exist. The Nuvet company does have some product that assist in allergy control -- but usually less than the conventional therapies. They do have many tesimonials -- but little in the way of research -- particularly published research. So these products do not hurt -- and may help a little -- but certainly do not expect miracles.

Thank you -- and I do hope your dog can find some relief to this situation -- you certainly have taken the right steps. I do encourage you to try the combination of benedryl (or other antihistamine) with fluticasone spray.

I hope this information helps!

Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.