Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Small Animal/Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 35 yrs! Former Zookeeper

My dogs just got quilled by a porcupine. Some places say cut

Customer Question

My dogs just got quilled by a porcupine. Some places say cut the quills with scissors and some say don't cut the quills. What is the best way?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 6 years ago.

I am Dr. Lisa; welcome to JA!

In order to best help- you, could you please tell me:

-What kind of dog is Ranger?

-Approx. what does he weigh?

-Are most of the quills on his face? Can you get an estimate for the number?

Dr. Lisa

-Is he good/not good with pain?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He is 22 lbs, labradoodle. Quills are on his face. Some people say to cut the quills others say not to.
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 6 years ago.

(Sorry I lost you for a moment but my mouse seems to have picked up a virus (a lot less painful than what you're dealing with).

I have never cut the quills.

This website will give you a blow-by-blow description of a recommended order of quill removal:

Important points to remember:

-after you've removed the inner mouth quills, muzzle your dog, because this is a very painful procedure!

-don't worry about light bleeding

-after you are done, if you can hose Ranger down with a gentle spray of cold water, you will give him some pain relief and cleanse the wounds.

-use pliers or hemostats to pull the quills

If at all possible, take him to an emergency room to have them removed. It will be a long and painful process for the both of you.

I hope this helps. If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the green ACCEPT icon. If you have more questions about this problem, please press 'reply'. Bonuses and feedback are always appreciated. Thank-you.

Dr. Lisa

Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 6 years ago.
Did you try to remove them?