Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Hello my dog has been peeing alot lately and she actually peed

Hello my dog has been peeing alot lately and she actually peed on my couch today. I think she an urinary tract infection and I have not been able to take her to the vet. I feel really bed and was wondering if I can give my dog my amoxicillin I have 500 MG capsules. Please let me know if this is ok to do and if it would by any chance cure the problem as well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Is the urine coming of involuntary (like in her sleep) or voluntary?

2- Is she drinking more than usual?

3- Is she having increase frequency of urination but smaller in urine volume?

4- Besides the urinary abnormality, any other symptoms?

5- Is she on any medications?

6- Any pre-existing medical conditions?

7- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1- Is the urine coming of involuntary (like in her sleep) or voluntary? - No she isnt peeing in her sleep. She actually squats and goes as usual

2- Is she drinking more than usual? - I have noticed that she is drinking alot more water then usual

3- Is she having increase frequency of urination but smaller in urine volume? - she is peeing ALOT at one time and in it is alot "i will take her out and walk around the block she will pee maybe twice pretty big ones then little like dribbles about 4 times after that then we can come home and with in about hour she will pee again int he house and it is alot of pee.

4- Besides the urinary abnormality, any other symptoms? - No there aren't any other symotoms or abnormal behavior other then the drinking alot

5- Is she on any medications? - No

6- Any pre-existing medical conditions? - No

7- How much does she weigh? - she is about 26 pounds or so

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

When a dog starts to drink more than usual it is an indication of either an infection (UTI), kidney or liver disease, hormonal disorders (diabetes), and even cancer. Regarding the use of Amoxicillin, yes, you can use it and if this is related to a bacterial infection that is sensitive to the Amoxicillin it will help. You can give her 1/4 of the Amoxicillin 500mg every 8 hours. I would also recommend to have her checked by a veterinarian for a general blood test and rule out things like diabetes and kidney disease that are always best to treat them early.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be taking her to the vet but unfortunately I dont have the money to take her till the end of the week when I get paid so it is good to know i can do something for her in the mean time.

Ok I can start giving it to her that is good! But they are capsules is it ok to take out the powder and give it to her maybe in peice of bread or something?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is ok to take out the powder; that is the active ingredient. Do your best in dividing it in 4 parts and give her one of those parts (1/4). Yes, give it with a small piece of bread.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.