Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

Help! My dog is bleeding from his mouth. It looks like he

Customer Question

Help!
My dog is bleeding from his mouth. It looks like he is bleeding from the base of his molar tooth. Is there a home remedy to stop the bleeding?
His tooth hygine is poor
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How much bleeding is occuring?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How big is he and how old?

Customer:

he is 13 yrs old. He has lost all of his front teeth. Hi canines are intact and in ok shape. Both molars are dark

Customer:

He is an english springer and weighs 45 lbs.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ok -- how much bleeding -- drops or a stream?

Customer:

drops

Dr. BJ Hughes :

ok -- this will likely stop on its own -- unless he has a clotting disorder

Customer:

This has been going on for the last 4 hours

Dr. BJ Hughes :

because of it being in the mouth -- you cannot use the typical things like flour or cornstarch that will stop -- and the bleeding may be from under the tooth. If you can apply ice or a thick flour dough like mix, and pressure -- that might be the only way to stop it.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

There may be ab abcess associated with this -- resutling in the drainage as well .

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ice water - if you cannot get into the mouth --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This may continue for a number of hours -- but if it is in drops and a small amount -- it would not worry me. Even overnight.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

If this is continueing tommorrow morning -- then I would consider a vet visit.

Customer:

This may be a long night. When he moves it seems to increase the bleeding. Just keeping him quiet may slow it down. He also gags periodically.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Is the tooth loose == and ready to fall out -- ? If it is -- you can attempt to remove it -- but the roots can be very long and multiple on a tooth -- if it is a big molar in the back.

Customer:

It is the large molar

Dr. BJ Hughes :

This may need some vet help to remedy -- unfortunately. However -- there really should not be a life threatening problem. Another thought was pain meds -- but aspirin increases bleeding -- so is out of the question.

Customer:

He seems to not be in pain. We are going to try the flour pack. Is it just flour and water?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

yes -- you can try dry flour -- as with a skin wound -- but I am thinking a coukie dough consistency might work better. If it is an abcess draining - it will have less clotting ability.

Customer:

Thank you I will let you know how it goes.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Thank you --

Customer:

Dr Hughes

Customer:

I wanted to let you know what happened after your advice:

Customer:

First I should preface this that humor goes a long way. First I tried to get the dog to allow me to put my fingers around the tooth. This didn't prove succesful. Keep in mind that blood is comming out of his mouth the whole time. Now my hand and arm have blood on them. I look like I was in a war. I then try the flour pack. This means putting the dough on the tooth. If I feed him a small piece then while his mouth is open I can reach the bleeding tooth. Of course the pack stayed on for only seconds as he liked the taste. This was repeated many times over several hours. The good thing is that it confined the bleeding to the kitchen and me. The bleeding stopped, the dog had a good nights sleep as I dreamed of horror shows. All of life has some humor somewhere. Thanks again :)

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It sounds like some of my days at the office!! I do sympathize --- sometimes it is difficut to treat critters -- even the tame ones!! This is actually a cute story for me to keep in mind as I work with owners. You deserve a medal of good ownership!!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Thank you for sharing the story.