Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience

my dogs toenail is turning white and very sore. its not bleeding

Customer Question

my dogs toenail is turning white and very sore. it's not bleeding or anything but she won't let me touch it. i took her to be groomed last week and nails trimmed, could they have cut it too short or does she have something else wrong? what should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Steve O. replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Steve. From what you are describing, I don't think they cu it too short, usually the nail will be sore for a day if it is cut too short, but it typically doesn't turn white. I would wonder about the nail being torn away from the nail bed underneath. (Like having a fingernail pulled up and away from the finger). This disrupts the blood supply and could make the nail turn white. If this is the case, the nail may have to be removed completely and she may need antibiotics . You should have her examined at your vets ot see if this is what's happening? Good Luck

Please click the accept button if this has helped. Thanks