Dr. Darren
Dr. Darren, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  2008 Graduate; Currently practicing in private practice and emergency canine medicine and surgery
21198646

how do I treat an open cancerous tumor that is bleeding, on

Customer Question

how do I treat an open cancerous tumor that is bleeding, on the hind leg and is inoperable again because of the loss of tissue and muscle. she is currently on antibiotics to reduce the fever. she is an 8yr old golden retriver
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Darren replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Unfortunately, an ulcerated tumor is often difficult or impossible to get to heal. The cancerous tissue is simply not normal or healthy and frequently protrudes from the skin surface and is prone to trauma. Antibiotic therapy is a good idea. Otherwise, topical treatment and bandaging (to protect the tumor) are really the best you can do. I would recommend a triple antibiotic ointment instead of the tea tree oil. However, the oil should not hurt anything.

Besides surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy may be options depending on the type of tumor.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do I make a bandage that will stay ,and what are her chances with chemo or radiation? what should I feed her.

For a bandage, I would recommend using a non-stick pad over the wound (such as a telfa pad) and then wrap some cotton padding followed by vet-wrap. You may need to use some tape or incorporate the trunk into the bandage to keep the bandage from slipping down the leg. You should be able to acquire these bandage materials from your vet's office.

Her prognosis with chemo or radiation completely depends on type of tumor and its involvement within the body. This would require biopsy with histopathology to diagnose the type of tumor followed by a complete workup and x-rays to evaluate for metastasis.

I would recommend feeding Hill's prescription diet n/d. This diet is designed specifically for dogs with cancer. Otherwise simply a high quality commercial diet (such as Science Diet or Iams) would be a decent alternative.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can't afford all that and I don't have insurance for her, are there places that can help

at least at areduced rate. I just finally paid off the vet bill,and I am a retiree trying to save my dog.

Often your local veterinary college or university can assist with treatment cost through various research trials if available. You would just have to contact them to see if there are available trials to enroll your pet in. Some vet hospitals may have benevolence funding or may know of local organizations that provide funds for pet care. These are about the only options that I am aware of and are dependent on availability from clinic to clinic.

Does this help?

Edited by Dr. Darren on 8/11/2010 at 6:21 PM EST