Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England

my rottweiler keeps shaking his head vigorously and has a smell

my rottweiler keeps shaking his head vigorously and has a smell coming from ears whats wrong. i have tried olive oil drops but the problem persists
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 6 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. It sounds to me like Winston has an ear infection. These typically result in a very itchy ear for the patient - which leads to flapping of the ears and shaking their heads. Whenever ears become infected they produce a lot of foul-smelling (usually brown) discharge. Olive oil is great for cleaning out ears, but won't get rid of an infection. I'm afraid you're looking at a vet visit to sort this out. Usually infections can be sorted out with about a weeks worth of ear drops - I suspect something like otomax, or canaural would be prescribed. Occasionally they are due to an underlying allergy, but I think Winston is a little too old for this (it usually starts to affect dogs from the ages of 2 or 3). The ear drops that are strong enough to sort the infection out are prescription only, so you'll have to make a routine appointment for Winston. I hope this helps - any questions just hit 'reply'. Good luck, Rosie.