Sue Skelding
Sue Skelding, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinary Clinician for twenty years, Certified in Veterinary Acupuncture, & Herbology

my shorkie has terrible skin eruptions, rash,dander,flaky sores,we

my shorkie has terrible skin eruptions, rash,dander,flaky sores,we have had him to the vet numerous times they treat with antibiotics and shot. it gets better but doesnt go away
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sue Skelding replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Sue Skelding :

Hi, I am Dr. Skelding. Skin issues are frustrating to veterinarians as well as to humans. Lots of times our pets have inhalant allergies just as we do, and these present instead of like sinus issues with us, they are skin issues with the pet. It is also complicated in pets because they often times have food allergies as well. The answer to treating these problems is to try and take charge of the things we can control like the food, minimize the contact allergens like grass, and treat the skin issues as they arise. I am a big fan of hypo-allergenic diets. I also, do integrative medicine, which means I have also been trained in Chinese medicine utilizing acupuncture and herbal medicine. With this knowledge base I know these animals have to have a hypo-allergenic diet that when the protein (main meat) breaks down it is cooling to the body like Wellness white fish and sweet potato. Us vets used to always use lamb and venison, but those proteins heat the body of and make it more itchy. In my practice we also use herbal medicine in the worst months. This helps limit the visits to us to get antibiotics for the secondary bacterial infections that occur as well as limit the amount of steroids that the animal has to have.

Customer:

so what dog food do you recommend and what herbal meds?

Customer:

hes misserable.how do we find out what hes allergic to?

Sue Skelding :

My favorite hypo-allergenic dog food is "Wellness" White fish and sweet potato. It comes in canned, dry, and treats.

I would also recommend seeing an herbalist/acupuncturist to help with the herbal formula. Each dog is different and based on a Chinese physical assessment, based on physical exam findings decides which formula to use.

Sue Skelding :

Try the link www.tcvm.com to help find one near you.

Sue Skelding :

There is not ONE answer to skin issues. It is frustrating for both the owner and us veterinarians, but using western and eastern medicine together does help.

Sue Skelding :

If you want to find out specifically the inhalents that he is allergic to , you can do a blood test or a skin prick test just like they do with us at your veterinarians office.

Sue Skelding :

If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the green accept button and I will move on to the next question.

Sue Skelding, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinary Clinician for twenty years, Certified in Veterinary Acupuncture, & Herbology
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
I converted to Q & A since we have been on and off line.