Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

my german shepherd is losing hair by the handful is this how

my german shepherd is losing hair by the handful is this how she should normally shed her hair or could there be another cause?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rebeccavet :

Hi and thanks for your question. Yes, it can be normal for a German Shepard to lose hair by the handful, and to be able to brush her and get a shopping bag full of hair in a matter of minutes. What is not normal is to shed to the point of getting bald spots. If the hair falling out leaves a thin or bald spot, then there may be a problem. If her remaining coat still covers her skin, then this may be her normal shed cycle. Supplementing with fish oil, vitamin E and antioxidants is supposed to reduce shedding, but since it is normal for dogs to shed the dead hairs to make way for the new ones, it will not stop the shedding.