Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog is walking back and forth, cannot sit or lay, and is

My dog is walking back and forth, cannot sit or lay, and is leaking small drops of urine when he walks. He appears to have this glossy eyed, tired, painful look. However, when I touch him he allows me to and I can't identify a single area of pain. He has literally been pacing back and forth for more than three hours that I have witnessed. He attempts to sit or lay and IMMEDIATELY gets up. I considered giving him Children's Benadryl and Baby Asprin to see if it would calm him down and give him some pain relief but thought I would seek out some advise first. Thank you for your anticipated assistance!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Place your hands around his abdomen and apply pressure, do you feel a large, water balloon type mass or is he painful or uncomfortable?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I could not identify a mass or painful area in his abdomen or anywhere else. He just not his usual self with the same symptoms I listed before and noticibley leaking urine. Do you think it is o.k. to give him baby asprin?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the information. As a general rule of thumb, I do not recommend giving aspirin to a dog unless absolutely indicated for arthritis pain. It can cause more problems than it can help in certain situations. Benedryl is usually very safe but most likely won't help at all in this instance. My concern is the leaking urine. It sounds like there is more going on here than some pain medication and antihistamines can handle. The leaking urine is concerning me. With the concurrent signs you are seeing, my first suspicion would be a partially blocked urethra. He may not be able to fully eliminate urine from his bladder, but it continues to fill up with urine. My other concern would be a bloated abdomen. It could be pressing on the bladder as well. This would cause him a lot of discomfort and could lead to more serious problems as well. This would especially be true if his abdomen seems enlarged. My best recommendation would be to get him to your nearest veterinary emergency clinic to get evaluated. Something serious may be going on at this point. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.