Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My female bulldog has swollen vulva itching some discharge

My female bulldog has swollen vulva itching some discharge but not red or bloody .She is 15 months old has not had a heat cycle but she is very whiny , and drags her vulva on the rugs like she itches.

It sounds like she has a case of Vaginitis. This is common in young dogs and especially dogs with wrinkles as they can get infections in the skin folds around the vulva. What we usually do is put them on an antibiotic like Cephalexin for 7-10 days and most will resolve. If they don't, then we can try an anti-fungal in case of a yeast infection. The one thing you can give tonight is Benadryl at 1 mg per lb every 6-8 hours as needed for the itching. You can also use a baby wipe or Malaseb wipe to clean around the vulva if there is a lot of discharge.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.