Dr. Lazarcheff
Dr. Lazarcheff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years companion animal medicine and surgery, emergency and critical care

My dog is acting very strange... She is shaking slightly, is

My dog is acting very strange... She is shaking slightly, is very rigid, her back is slightly arched when she walks, and does not seem like herself. I haven't noticed it until a few mintues ago... I just got home from work, though she was acting herself when I left approximately six hours ago. Her stomach seems a little swollen/bloated as well, and it making a few audible noises here and there. She usually lays on her side, though now she is laying on all fours in a rather rigid position with her tail between her legs. She is usually a very bouncy happy dog, and she wags her tail when she spoken to, but she seems lethargic and just doesn't seem to want to to move. Did she eat something she shouldn't have? If so, what are options to make her feel more comfortable?
Good morning,

This could be related to something she ate, but I would be more concerned that its her back that hurts, Is she reluctant to jump up on things or go up stairs?. does she seem to be in pain?

Dr. Kevin
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She just jumped off the couch and yelped. I went to her, and she sat in a curved C shape with her front paw lifted. She is now laying at my feet, and her stomach feels very hard. Her back is still a little rigid while she lays down, and her heart beat feels a bit quickened and her breathing sometimes quickens. Will this potentially require emergency care? Some foreign object may be trying to pass through her system and it may be painful to her, as she whimpers from time to time without her moving.

I don't like the pain, if you have an emergency veterinary service in your area I would get her looked at tonight. Usually with Intestinal issues they vomit or have diarrhea, when their back hurts they will tighten the abdominal muscles to steady the spine, but either way she sounds very uncomfortable. Your emergency veterinarian will be able to get her allot of relief.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much. Also, if I am unable to find an emergency vet, what are some of the things I can do to keep her comfortable until the morning when the vet office usually opens? And are there things to look for if her condition worsens? I have been petting her and massaging her muscles for the past hour now, and her shaking has stopped, although she still doesn't want to move... I would do just about anything for this dog!

If you can't get her in tonight, then keep up with what you are doing. Do you have anything you could giver her for pain?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have low dose 'baby' aspirin, 200 mg ibuprofen, and I do believe I have 200 mg acetaminophen somewhere... I don't exactly know which would be best for her considering she's a smaller dog (35 lbs or so), or whether she would accept it very easily.

A single baby aspirin would be all right, If you can get her into the E-Vet than I would avoid it. Absolutely no Ibuprofen or acetaminophen.