Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics
18160762

My dogs ate fudge about 3 pounds and we had them drink a tsp

My dogs ate fudge about 3 pounds and we had them drink a tsp of peroxide and one of the dogs vomited the other didn't. However the dog that did vomit did so 4 times, is there anything else we need to do tonight before taking them to the vet in the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denver ER Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there!!

Do you know which dog ate all/most of the fudge? Did Z vomit up a large amount of chocolate?

Thanks!
Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes Z vomitted a large amt of what I think is Fudge. However Jazmine didn't vomit at all, but I don't know for sure she ate any
OK, thanks for the information.

Vomiting usually gets a maximum of 60-70% of what is in the stomach out, which means Z likely still has some fudge in there. In smaller doses, it just causes some gastrointestinal irritation, i.e. vomiting and maybe some diarrhea tomorrow. As long as this is all you see and he is otherwise eating, drinking, and acting normally, you shouldn't see any further problems.

In larger amounts, it starts to cause the heart to race and overexcitement/anxiety. This is a sign that he may need to be seen by an emergency vet tonight because it can result in fatal abnormal heart rhythms. By the time tremors start, if seen, the situation can rapidly progress to seizures and death so it is paramount to have him seen if you notice that his heart is racing or he is overanxious/overexcited.

Monitor Jazmine for similar problems. The advantage for both is that they are bigger dogs, so it will take more chocolate to case a toxicity.

Please let me know if you need any more information!1

Thanks,
Dr. Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually they are both trying to sleep continually and neither of their hearts are racing. Do they need to be monitored or should I let them sleep>
If they are sleeping comfortably, I would let them lie. Generally, if their hearts are racing, they will be agitated, up and down, panting, and driving you crazy. You might just want to check on them once or twice tonight to make sure they are still sleeping comfortably. If so, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Smile

Good luck!!

Dr. Paul
Denver ER Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship, Veterinary Acupuncture trained, Wildlife and Exotics