Dr. Bruce, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  over 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
33084435

My dog acts like it hurts to lay down. Shes hunched and tail

My dog acts like it hurts to lay down. She's hunched and tail between her legs. I let her outside this afternoon and I think she may have stumbled up the steps to the deck, when she came up the steps onto the deck her back legs went out from under her. She hasn't gone to the bathroom as far as we know. She has ate a treat but nothing else. Any idea what is wrong with her?

Any vomiting?

Is she limping at all (holding a leg up), or is it only the hunched over posture?

Is she drinking water?

Lift her lip, what color are her gums?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No vomiting! She will hold up a leg when she's getting ready to lay down and when she actually gets down she doesn't stay down for very long. She looks tired but stands most of the time. Her gums are red like my other dogs! I haven't seen her drink anything!

It sounds like she has injured her back. It probably occured when she jumped the gate. Back pain can be particularly penetrating, and makes it hard for them to get comfortable. For tonight, I would recommend giving her aspirin at a dose of 5mg per pound. So if she weighs 15 pounds, you can give her an 81 mg aspirin. I would recommend using the coated variety to help protect her stomach. This dose can be repeated in 12 hours. If she is still uncomfortable tomorrow, I would encourage taking her to see her vet.

Also, keep her quiet, and don't let her run around. It could worsen the pain. If she starts walking like she is drunk, or starts dragging her hind legs, she needs to go to an emergency clinic immediately.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

You're quite welcome. I hope that Abby is feeling better very soon!